Taste of the NFL Backgrounder
The Taste of the NFL is a non-profit organization dedicated to kicking hunger in America by rallying the country’s best chefs and the NFL’s greatest to support hunger relief. Over the past 23 years, the Taste of the NFL has distributed more than $22 million to food banks through its national Super Bowl event called “The Party with a Purpose®”, its "local" events held throughout the year at NFL cities, and its Kick Hunger Challenge online fundraising campaign. In 2010, founder Wayne Kostroski was named the James Beard Humanitarian of the Year for his efforts to create a national platform to address the needs of the hungry.
The Party with a Purpose® Fast Facts
• The annual strolling food and wine tasting event is the single most successful NFL-sanctioned, charitable event at the Super Bowl—proceeds go directly to fight hunger.
• 35 of the country’s best chefs (including one from each of the 32 NFL markets) are paired with a current or alumni player from each NFL team. Special guest chefs are also often featured at the event.
• Past entertainment acts have included Sara Evans, Martina McBride, Bare Naked Ladies, Brooks and Dunn, Styx and Wynona.
• Hundreds of volunteers, including chefs, culinary students, NFL players and more contribute time and talent to make the event a success and raise awareness for this critical issue.
• The inaugural Party with a Purpose® took place in Minneapolis in 1992, the site of Super Bowl XXVI.
• Two chefs, Allen Susser of Chef Allen’s in Miami and Jack McDavid of Jack’s Firehouse in Philadelphia, are the longest-running Taste of the NFL chefs. Both have participated each year since 1992. Their original player representatives, Dick Anderson of the Miami Dolphins Alum and Philadelphia Eagles Alum Jerry Sisemore have also been with Taste of the NFL each year.
• Depending on the venue, the event typically is host to 2,000 to 3,000 people each year.
• This year, more than 3,000 wine glasses will be handed out to guests and filled with Gallo wine.
• Chefs cumulatively will prepare approximately 45,000 sample-size servings for guests to enjoy.
• The silent auction will have more than 250 items to bid on including unique sports memorabilia, exciting getaways and more.
Super Bowl XLIX: 2015 Game Plan
• Super Bowl XLIX marks the 24th year of Taste of the NFL.
• For the fifth year in a row, cast members from of TLC’s Cake Boss will be onsite to reveal an original cake creation and to mingle with guests.
• This year’s event will take place on Saturday, January 31, 2015 in Scottsdale, Arizona at WestWorld of Scottsdale, with doors opening at 7 p.m.
• The 2015 event is made possible through the generosity of Taste of the NFL partners including E & J Gallo, American Family Insurance, LowTCenter and others to-be-named. For more information, visit www.TasteoftheNFL.com.
Back to Fact Sheets